She intends to introduce legislation that would:
– Freeze the number of US troops in Iraq to 132,000 while providing full funding for US forces there.
– Set up "penalties" for the Iraqi government in the form of cuts in money to support their armed forces if the Iraqis do not perform to uphold their "end" of the president’s new campaign plan.
– Require the president to secure Congressional approval before increasing the number of US troops in Iraq.
Senator Clinton understands that this legislation will not be enacted, but it is clear that it is her intention to "lay down a marker" on these issues, both for President Bush and herself. She has also urged the Defense Department to increase the size of US forces in Afghanistan. She was asked for this by commanders in Afghanistan.
At the same time, there are Senate resolutions "cooking" that:
– Would require the president to attain Congressional approval for troop increases in Iraq.
– Would require the president to get congressional approval before any armed action against Iran.
Pointless? No. No. No. Given the desperate situation in which President Bush finds himself, I find it likely that he will "double up" his "bets" in Iraq and/or Iran to retrieve his place in history. Present surveys indicate that as things are now ’43 will go down in history as one of the worst of all American presidents. I do not believe that GWB could possible accept this and, in that context, he will "bet the ranch" to try retrieve the situation.
If he does that after ignoring such proposed resolutions, it is arguable that a case for impeachment could be made. pl