“Operation Deterrent Balance 7 is the most recent in a series of large-scale missile and drone attacks by the Houthis against Saudi Arabia.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 1 targeted the Shaybah super-giant oil field in southeast Saudi Arabia on August 17 of 2019.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 2 targeted two strategic oil facilities in the eastern Saudi areas of Buqayq and Khurais on September 14 of 2019.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 3 targeted an oil facility of Aramco as well as “sensitive targets” in the western Saudi city of Yanbu on February 21 of 2020.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 4 targeted the headquarters of the Saudi Defense Ministry, intelligence facilities, King Salman Air Base and other positions in Riyadh as well as in Jizan and Najran on June 23 of 2020.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 5 targeted military sites in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, as well as in the Kingdom’s southern cities of Abha and Khamis Mushait on February 28 of 2021.
- Operation Deterrent Balance 6 targeted Ras Tanura oil port and an unspecified target in the nearby city of Dammam as well as several targets in both Jizan and ‘Asir on March 7 of 2021.
These large-scale operations inflicted some serious losses on the Saudi military and the Kingdom’s highly-profitable oil sector.” SF
Comment: Mike Pompeo (pomposity personified but first in his class at USMA) used to denigrate the Ansar Allah (Houthi) by laughing at the thought that the Houthi could hit targets in eastern Saudi Arabia. I suppose that fit well with the Trump administration focus on Iran above all else.
When I lived in Yemen in the early 80s the Yemen Army had a guided missile battalion (5 0r 6 hundred men, LeAnder et al). They were armed with Soviet SCUDs and became quite skilled with them. The descendant unit has adhered to Ansar Allah. In spite of Pompey’s expressed contempt for the smaller “wogs,” it seems very clear that they have achieved a range capability (with reasonable accuracy) of a thousand miles. pl
3,874 total views, 9 views today