– The campaign against the bridges continues in Baghdad. Two more bridges were attacked yesterday. These were across the Diyala River in southeast Baghdad. That makes five bridge attacks so far. Motive remains a question. My "working theory" is that the predominately Sunni insurgents are seeking to impede the "creeping" movement of Shia occupation of the city from east to west. A friend in Baghdad tells me that the "line" dividing the mainly Shia part of the city from the mainly Sunni is moving steadily westward to the disadvantage of the Sunnis. The goal would be a Shia dominated capital city. An alternative theory is that the insurgents are seeking to build impediments to the movement of coalition tactical reserves (QRF). Time will tell.
– The level of danger inside the International Zone is rising. Indirect fire by rockets and mortar is now a commonplace. Embassy people have been instructed to wear helmets and armor when out of doors. The security forces feel sure that there are one or more "spotters" for the people bombarding the IZ (Green Zone)
– There was an attack just south of the city today against a seven man US force accompanied by an Iraqi soldier interpreter. The circumstances are unclear as of the time of writing but it seems a very small force to be out on its own.
– The Iraqi parliament is threatening to pass a piece of legislation that would "cap" US forces in Iraq and request the departure of foreign forces. It is difficult to see how the Bush Administration could cope with that politically since the creation of that parliament has been the declared goal of its policy for Iraq itself as opposed to the ongoing manhunt against the international takfiris in the country. Yes. Yes. I know, the "oilies," the "oilies…" They won’t be happy with that idea.
– The neocons and their allies are making noises about "unleashing" the Shia and the Kurds against the Sunni Arabs. Hmm. The unleashing would be, what..? If the Shia and the Kurds could beat the insurgents they would have done so by now. What are the neocons suggesting? Mass violence against Sunni Arab civilians?