"A burial site in eastern Lebanon originally believed to be a mass grave for victims of Syria’s military presence is actually a graveyard dating to the 17th century, a Lebanese prosecutor said in a statement published Wednesday.
Syria ended its nearly three-decade military presence in Lebanon last year. The remains of at least 28 people discovered in December in the Bekaa Valley town of Anjar ranged from 50 to 350 years old, Prosecutor General Saeed Mirza said.
"The remains found … are part of an ordinary cemetery used by Muslims who lived in the village to bury their dead," said the statement by Mirza published by local newspapers Wednesday.
None of the remains were dated after the year 1950, the statement said, adding, "there is no evidence that any crime was committed."
Turkish soldiers, posted to the area when it was part of the Ottoman Empire, were among those buried. Last year’s discovery of the site caused an uproar as anti-Syrian political forces pointed the finger at Syria’s military which pulled out in April 2005 amid domestic and international pressure following the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri." Yahoo
at this rate we’re all going to be diabetic…!
There would be naturally outcry over what nonsense it is that the remains are that old, that how “obvious” it must be that these “have to be” victims of Syrian atrocities and how the current Lebanese authorities are in cahoots with the regime in Damascus one way or another….that is, if people want to fight bad enough. At certain point, no amount of “evidence” would be good enough to dissuade people from believing what they want to believe. I always thought the rise of the modern civilization came as the consequence of overcoming this sort of stark phenomenon, but we seem headed backwards, unfortunately.