Putin is not going to “invade” Ukraine. Nope. But Russia now is prepared to fight on behalf of two independent Republics who ask for Putin’s help. Putin signed an agreement with the leaders of Donetsh and Luhansk respectively about 11 pm Moscow time on 21 February. The Minsk Agreement is dead. By formally recognizing the Independent Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk, Putin and his national security team are following the lead of how Western nations handled the break up of Yugoslovia into three separate republics.
Any hope that Biden and his advisors had about using their hysterical verbal posturing to bolster Biden’s stature as an international statesman feared by the Russians was flushed down the toliet with today’s signing.
Here are the key points from Putin’s globally televised speech:
- PUTIN SAYS UKRAINE WAS NOT ABLE TO ACHIEVE STABLE STATEHOOD AND HAS THEREFORE HAD TO RELY ON FOREIGN COUNTRIES LIKE THE UNITED STATES.
- PUTIN: UKRAINE HAS BECOME ‘A COLONY WITH A PUPPET GOVERNMENT’
- PUTIN SAYS UKRAINE PLANS TO CREATE ITS OWN NUCLEAR WEAPONS
- PUTIN SAYS WE WERE PROMISED NATO WOULD NOT EXPAND PUTIN SAYS THE OPPOSITE HAPPENED
- PUTIN: I WILL SAY SOMETHING IVE NEVER SAID FOR THE FIRST TIME: I ASKED CLINTON HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ABOUT RUSSIA JOINING NATO?
- PUTIN SAYS WE SAW FIVE WAVES OF NATO EXPANSION RECENTLY
- U.S. DOES NOT NEED SUCH A BIG COUNTRY AS RUSSIA IN NATO
- ‘WHY MAKE AN ENEMY OF US
- PUTIN SAYS RUSSIA HAS EVERY RIGHT TO PROTECT ITS SECURITY, THAT’S WHAT WE’LL DO
- PUTIN: UKRAINE DOESNT WANT A PEACEFUL RESOLUTION
- PUTIN: RUSSIA WILL TAKE STEPS TO ENSURE ITS SECURITY
- PUTIN SAYS RUSSIA WILL RECOGNISE INDEPENDENCE OF TWO BREAKAWAY REGIONS IN EASTERN UKRAINE
Putin emphasized his perplexity on the drumbeat from Washington, DC describing Russia as an enemy. He reiterated that Russia wants to be friends with the United States but, if the Americans continue to treat Russia as an enemy, Russia will take all necessary steps to defend the Motherland.
This is a watershed moment. Putin is daring the Ukraine and the West to attack the Donbas because Russia will defend the newly independent republics from invaders.