""Twenty-three of the 28 member nations are still not paying what they should," Trump told heads of NATO states assembled Thursday in Brussels. "Many of these nations owe massive amounts of money from past years." It's not the first time Trump has suggested other NATO members have a debt to pay.
But NATO does not keep a running tab of what its members spend on defense. Treaty members target spending 2% of economic output on defense — but that is merely a guideline. NATO members spend money on their own defense. The funds they send to NATO directly account for less than 1% of overall defense spending by members of the alliance. CNN.com
Less than 1% of the funds committed for overall defense by the member states are paid to NATO as an organization. These are used for running headquarters, a communications spine, etc. The other 99% are spent by the member states on their own defense. Can it really be that DJT does not know that? That seems impossible but …
And then there is the grander question of NATO's purpose in the post-USSR world. The alliance was founded for the purpose of holding Western Europe together in a bloc to resist Soviet hegemonism. That was its only purpose. Well, the Soviet Union no longer exists. The Borg strives mightily every day to make people believe that today's Russia = the USSR but that is a mighty hard sell if the pitch is not made to people who know no history, geography, economics, and who cannot think for themselves.
Russia is nothing like the USSR. There is no good reason for NATO to exist other than as a plaything for Borgist meddlers. Let the Europeans defend themselves. Is that not what the existence of the EU implies? Are these countries not capable of managing their own affairs? pl