The USS Bataan rode out the storm and then followed it toward shore, awaiting relief orders.
"Utilizing the USS Bataan — Think how many live ‘could have been saved’ had DHS-FEMA utilized the USS Bataan properly. Talk about a ‘break-down’ in the Bush Admin.-DHS-FEMA’s chain of command and control process.
- six operating rooms
- beds for 600 patients — all were ’empty’
- can make its own water, up to 100,000 gallons a day
- a 844-foot ship designed to dispatch Marines in amphibious assaults
- has helicopters
- doctors, the ship had taken on a substantial medical staff
- hospital beds,
- a real ‘cross-section of a major hospital’ — they covered a wide swath of medical specialties onboard from surgeons and pediatricians to heart specialists, a psychiatrist and even a physical therapist
- food and water.
- they have electricity, and the police could have charged up their radios "
Thanks to "J" for this.