"Never bring all our forces into play haphazardly and at one time, thereby losing all means of directing the battle; but fatigue the opponent, if possible, with few forces and conserve a decisive mass for the critical moment. Once this decisive mass has been thrown in, it must be used with the greatest audacity." Clausewitz
Many of you will be bored. You think yourselves too grand to bother with the underlying philosophy of the soldier's trade. Your eyes will glaze over and you will not read the linked essay encapsulating Clausewitz' meditations on war. IMO he was the greatest of all philosophers of war. He was far greater than people like Boyd and his "OODA Loop," far greater than the recent hackneyed apostles of the failed COIN cult.
The present situation in Syria is tolling the doom of the present Syrian secular state and the possibility of the existence of other such governments in the ME. Sisi in Egypt is reviled in the leftist R2P media, but, in fact, he saved Egypt from jihadi rule IN SPITE OF the efforts of the snowflakes in the Borgist dominated US government.
Syria has committed the ultimate error. It has spread its inadequate forces all over the map seeking all at once to realize Assad's desire to liberate all of Syria's territory more or less at once.
The R+6 is fighting at:
1. Around Daraa in he SW where he jihadis have the active support of Israel, which as usual, sees its enemies in a light clouded by hatred for all Arabs.
2. In Suweida east of the Daraa corridor.
3. On the Syrian/Lebanese mountain border.
4. In northern Hama Province.
5. In Palmyra's desert countryside.
6. At Deir al-Zor where the "battling bastards of Deir al-Zor" deserve every real soldier's admiration.
7. In eastern Aleppo Province south of the US led Tabqa effort.
8. West of Aleppo City where inadequate SAA forces try expand their perimeter against the resurgent forces of AQ jihadis who have been allowed to re-consolidate their positions after defeat in Aleppo City.
9. Anywhere else?
You can't fight like this and win. Absent significant Russian and Iranian reinforcements, in the end the Syrians, Hizbullah and Iranians will be gradually worn down and defeated nationwide. And what then? "What then" will be another jihadi emirate and a life of oppression for the Syrian minorities. This seems to be acceptable to the Israeli/R2P satellite state called the US a satellite which was once a proud country. A country for which my ancestors literally fought since the 17th Century.
What should be done? Syria should call for international volunteers, to be trained and organized in Syria. At the same time, concentration of forces should be adopted as national strategy. pl